Beauty and skincare: My top 6 Resolutions
Hello Beauties and happy 2017! This morning we woke up to lots of snow and today we get to stay home and enjoy the calm before we get back to our routines. I can’t think of a more perfect way to spend New Years day than to be surrounded by family and a winter wonderland.
The New Year is the perfect excuse to refresh your skincare and toss out anything that’s expired. Make up is usually good for 3 to 6 months, so let’s get tossing and start fresh!
Start your day right
While we sleep our bodies repair and detox. It makes sense to replenish lost fluids right? Coffee is okay but it’s dehydrating so make sure you have some water too. This morning .. I’m preparing a vitamin C rich drink called the Dragon Slayer. I serve it warm to hot and always prepare it when I feel like my immune system needs a boost. It’s so easy to make! Juice a lemon, an orange or two, and a large grapefruit. Add a teaspoon or so of freshly grated ginger and honey and cayenne pepper are optional additions.
Aromatherapy is the best! I have my difusser on as I type (with Eucalyptus oil;) and I’ve got my Pandora set on Nature/Relax music. This is a great beginning to the day.
There are so many wonderful products available! Today I’m speaking generally ~ specifics will come later;)
- Clean Beauty: Not all preservatives are bad however I do try to avoid them when possible ~ in food and cosmetics. May Lindstrom, Tata Harper, and Juice Beauty are great places to begin. More ideas here and here.
- Mask Weekly: There are so many options! I like Tata Harper Moisturizing Mask particularly during the winter months (sometimes I sleep with it on;) SKI-II has a cult following and is great if you want intense hydration in just a few minutes.
- Correct and Protect: Invest in an antioxidant serum to help protect and repair your skin. Antioxidants help to neutralize skin ravaging free radicals that our skin comes in contact with daily. My favorite is CE Ferulic by Skin Ceuticals. The added Vitamin E helps keep the skin’s delicate lipid barrier in tact. If you are oily or acne prone try the Phloretin CF. Apply sunscreen last and even on a cloudy day. Try Elta Md or Sheer Physical Defense 50. Both are mineral based, with no chemicals.
- Don’t shy away from oils: Finding the right oil for your skin can be a challenge but once you do, it’s a game changer. I am currently using May Lindstrom oils and I also like Estelle & Child Rescue Oil.
- Cleanse Twice: Yes, twice. In a pinch a wipe is okay but using a make up dissolving balm followed by a refreshing gel or foaming wash is the best. Eve Lom and Darphine are lovely products and then follow up with something like Light Time Cleanse and Glow.
- Inside Out: Eat seasonally, and include plenty of brightly colored fruits and vegetables. Consume more plant based protein and less meat. Dark chocolate? I say yes:) Glow from the inside out with supplements that are said to energize you and supercharge your beautiful skin. Try Moon Juice Beauty Dust , Probiotics, and a fatty acid supplement!
Hope this helps you find products that work for you:)
Shop the Post!
Lots of good advice here, and I agree to start the day right, is a good way of making your day go well. Thanks for all you share
Happy New Year to you and your family and best wishes for good health, happiness and prosperity
Thank you Carolyn! Wishing you and your family a happy and healthy NEW YEAR!
Happy New Year Leslie. As always thanks so much for sharing your knowledge on skin care and products. Peggy
Hi Peggy:) You are welcome and thank you for you sweet comment! Happy New Year:)
The new year is always the best time for me to begin a new routine. There are so many great products out there…you’ve taught me to check labels! Thanks for the tips on a good routine to begin the year.
Hi Karen, Yep ~ check those labels and start fresh;)
Thanks so much for sunscreen tip as I am allergic to chemical sunscreen and it seems to be in everything these days! Happy New Year, I had my Manuka Honey today too!
Yes….do try the physical rather than chemical based products. Yay for Manuka Honey:)