How to freeze strawberries
Vine ripened strawberries are incredibly sweet and delicious. Over the weekend we took a drive out to the countryside to pick a few pounds of berries for smoothies, jam, and pie. Our weather has been overcast and rainy (still) so our berry-picking got a little muddy. Here’s a quick clip!
How to clean and freeze berries
- Start first by putting your berries in a large rectangular baking dish. I use my Staub Ceramics Rectangular Baking Dish.
- Even if the berries are organic it’s a good idea to rinse them. I add about 6 drops of essential oil of lemon to help the cleaning process along. Adding lemon oil has the added benefit of making your sink and garbage disposal smell pretty;) I use essential oils in cooking, topically, and diffuse daily to improve our daily living. For more information on essential oils, head over to this blog post.
- After giving your berries a good soak in the lemon water, pour into a colander and give them another quick rinse. If you are using berries that are not organic, this process is even more important as strawberries are number 1 on the dirty dozen list.
- Gently dry your strawberries and place them on a large baking sheet or in a ceramic berry bowl to enjoy as a snack. The ceramic berry bowls also come in handy for small items such as cherry tomatoes and hard boiled eggs. They are both functional and pretty, win-win.
- Put the baking sheet in your freezer until your strawberries are frozen.
- Remove from the freezer and put in stasher bags and use for smoothies or to bake a pie.
Invest in a few ceramic containers for storage. They are pretty to look at on the counter filled with berries and also serve as environmentally friendly storage in the refrigerator. I use mine for eggs, fruit, tomatoes, etc.. The price varies for ceramic containers. Here is a vintage ceramic white colander that would look nice on open kitchen shelving. There are lots of options on etsy.
Thanks so much for visiting! This post contains affiliate links which means if you choose to purchase an item I would receive a small amount of compensation to help support my website. I only link products that I personally own or items that I love.