Strawberry Jam Muffins, sweetened with fresh, local honey, sliced strawberries, and strawberry jam. Next I add a little lemon zest and ricotta cheese for a delicious muffin to enjoy for breakfast or as a mid-morning snack!
Who doesn’t love a fresh strawberries on a warm summer day? This year we picked our strawberries at a local farm. There’s nothing better than warm, vine ripened strawberries! I brought the berries home, froze half (blog post here), made a few jars of jam, and then these delicious muffins.
I like fruit as is, eating berries by the handfuls, or slicing and grilling (peaches for example), and grabbing big chunks of pineapple on a warm summer day. Over the past couple years we’ve been cooking more with fruit, making skillet blueberry cobbler, baked apples, fresh spinach with strawberry salad, and grilled pineapple.
This summer we have lots of fun planned with our first little getaway coming up next week. Of course we will be enjoying all the farm fresh produce all summer long, dining outdoors whenever possible, lots of road trips (visiting the wine country is first on the list), lots of kayaking, and spontaneous picnics at the lake.
Question.. what are you looking most forward to this summer?
How to make strawberry jam muffins
- First, begin with the sweetest, fresh strawberries you can find and your favorite strawberry jam.
- Next I combined the eggs, lemon juice and zest, vanilla, ricotta cheese, melted butter, and honey in a medium size bowl. The ricotta and lemon zest are key here, so yummy!
- Mix flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder until combined.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to the egg mix.
- When combined, gently fold in strawberry, jam mixture.
- Bake until slightly brown. Remove muffins, allow to cool, and sprinkle with powdered sugar if you’d like.
Check out more strawberry posts!
..and don’t forget to check out this recipe for pressed flower shortbread cookies!
They are perfect for a summer party and you can get really creative with the flowers and organic garden plants you use.
Strawberry Jam Muffins
These muffins can be made with all-purpose flour or as the recipe shows, with gluten-free flour.
- 2 eggs, beaten with a fork
- the zest of one lemon plus the juice
- 2 tbsp milk ~ or milk substitute
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 3/4 cup flour (I used Bob's Red Mill 1:1 gluten free flour) ~you can also use all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam
Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
Combine eggs, lemon juice and zest, vanilla, ricotta cheese, melted butter, and honey in a medium size bowl. Mix until combined.
Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl
Slowly add dry ingredients to the egg mix.
Mix sliced strawberries with jam.
Gently fold the strawberry jam mixture into your batter.
Spoon into prepared muffin pan. I use large, unbleached muffin containers because it cleans up easier.
Bake for about 20 or 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.
Remove from muffin tin, allow to cool, and sprinkle with powdered sugar if you'd like.
These muffins freeze well and you can sprinkle with powdered sugar if you'd like!