How to start the morning off right | Morning Glory Muffins
Welcoming the day with these Morning Glory Muffins! Extra moist and filled with chewy dates, crunchy walnuts, shredded carrots, applesauce, and served warm with farm fresh butter if you’d like. Morning Glory Muffins hit the spot when you are craving something sweet and want to avoid something that’s not-so-healthy. These moist and chewy muffins loaded with fruit and nuts are best eaten just out of the oven with a generous smear of butter. So good!
This blog post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These muffins have a story. When my husband and I were in Maui last year we rented a house in the mountains. Next door lived a couple that owned a farm. Basically they were living off the land .. growing their own food and raising farm animals. When I found out we had access to their garden I was so excited to venture over there and gather some fresh produce for our rental house.
Her garden was extensive and just beautiful. When I left she sent me home with a few of her muffins. They were so delicious I had to ask for the recipe. She was kind enough to share it with me and I’ve been making them ever since! I’ve modified the recipe a bit because she makes a ton of muffins and uses lots of shredded fruit and veggies. You can replace the carrots with other veggies like zucchini if you’d like!
These muffins are not going to rise like a typical muffin so fill up your baking cups! These are the liners I use. Morning Glory Muffins are very dense and chewy, packed full of protein, fruit, and fiber. Enjoy as a snack or after a workout!
Want to connect on a more?
Find me and Lemon Grove Lane on
Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest!
Morning Glory Muffins
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 pound dates – about 14 large dates (remove pits)
- 1 cup all-purpose or gluten free flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini and/or carrots
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and prepare muffin containers.
- With a hand held mixer, blend butter until creamy.
- Chop dates into tiny pieces, add to the butter and mix.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Blend until mixed.
- Add flour slowly and continue to blend.
- Add the spices and blend.
- Stir in remaining ingredients: zucchini, carrots, apple sauce, coconut, walnuts, and raisins.
- Spoon mixture into paper lined muffin tin and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. These muffins won’t rise so fill up the muffin tin to the top.