Our cozy potato and ham soup just simmers away on the stove taking care of itself, thickening into a delicious creamy base. This is a stress free meal that everyone will enjoy.
Pro tip: Cut up all your veggies first and have a small glass of wine or cup of hot tea on your kitchen counter to get started.
Looking for a cozy winter meal? Try my Potato and Ham Soup! Buy precooked ham or use leftovers. What we like about this recipe is that you can prepare it quickly and you’ll need just a few ingredients.
What you’ll need to make Potato Ham Soup
There are just a few ingredients needed which makes this an ideal weekday meal
- three potatoes
- 2 stalks of celery
- flour for roux
- 1 1/2 or 2 pounds diced ham
- olive oil
- 2/3 cup cream or milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 onion
- 2 carrots, diced
- 16 ounces beef or bone broth
- 1/2 corn optional
Use left over ham or buy a small precooked piece. I prepare Potato Ham Soup in my small dutch oven. If you don’t own one, they are worth the investment and last a life time.
When I cook I use a recipe as a guideline. I encourage you to do the same! Taste as you go along until you get the hang of it. Adjust ingredients accordingly. Maybe you’d like more potato or corn? Is there enough pepper. I don’t add garlic to this soup but maybe you’d like it!
Make sure to saute the onion until it’s translucent and beginning to brown. I use my homemade bone broth to make my Potato Ham Soup. It adds lots of flavor and is very nutritious.
If you’d like to learn more about bread making, subscribe to my Instagram channel and you can also check out this blog post.
Favorite Kitchen Pots and Tools:
- 1/2 butter
- 2 pounds cooked diced ham (add a ham bone for extra flavor)
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, diced
- 3 potatoes, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons of flour for roux
- 14 ounces beef bone broth or broth of preference
- 3 cups milk
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- Heat butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Sauté onion, carrots, and celery until soft and onions are translucent (3-4 minutes).
- Add diced ham, garlic, potatoes and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add flour, stir to coat - about 2 minutes.
- Stir in stock and cook until potatoes begin to get soft.
- Add cream and milk, simmer, don't boil. Stir until thick.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with immediately with warm bread and a salad if you'd like. For dessert I recommend my chocolate chip cheesecake.
Chunks of ham, soft potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, and garlic in a creamy broth with with an option to add homemade bone broth. This cozy comfort food will be a hit even with the pickist eater! Serve with homemade sourdough bread for dunking and a delicious dessert like my chocolate cheesecake.