Recipe | Cozy tomato soup with Creme Fraiche
This blog post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Cozy tomato soup with creme fraiche is one of the first soups I make as we transition from summer to Autumn. You can use up whatever tomatoes you have from your garden harvest or use canned. It’s important that you use ripe tomatoes or a high quality canned variety from Italy.
How to upgrade your tomato soup recipe
- Add herbs: my favorites are basil or chives
- Add greens: Add bright green color to your bowl by topping it with a handful of fresh greens. Toss with a simple vinaigrette first and you’ll have a delicious soup and salad supper. The greens will wilt slightly as you stir them into the soup and the dressing will add extra richness and season the dish.
- Add toasted nuts: Almonds, hazelnuts, pistachios, sunflower seeds, etc.. or consider adding paprika or cumin for even more flavor.
- Add a poached egg
- Add creme fraiche
How to serve your tomato soup
We enjoy our soup as a side dish. Last weekend we made burgers and had the soup on the side for dunking. Top with sour cream or creme fraiche and then add freshly chopped chives.
This soup is so cozy and of course tastes delicious with a grilled cheese sandwich on the side. Make sure you have a good soup pot on hand as we approach Autumn. If you missed my blog post on Minimalist kitchen Essentials, here it is!
Tomato soup with Creme Fraiche
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 large carrots, finely diced
- 2 or 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 28 ounce can organic tomatoes (or 4 1/2 cups peeled, chopped fresh)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh rosemary
- 1 cup Crème Fraîche to top your soup
- Place a soup pot over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and allow it to heat slightly. Add the onion, carrot, garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, and bay leaves, plus 1 teaspoon of the salt. Cook for approximately 6-8 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add the tomatoes along with the 2 cups of water. Bring to a simmer and then reduce heat to simmer. Add half the minced rosemary and basil and simmer for about 90 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients including salt. Test flavor and add more salt if needed.
- Use an immersion blender to make the mixture smooth or purée the soup in a standard blender, in batches, if necessary. Strain the soup though a medium-mesh strainer, pressing the solids with a wooden spoon to extract as much liquid as you can. (Taste the soup and add more salt or minced rosemary or basil, if needed.)
- Garnish with Crème Fraîche and serve warm.
- Serve along side your main course or as a sidekick to your grilled cheese.
Looking for more tomato recipes? Try this delicious Heirloom Tomato and Panzella Salad or make your own tomato sauce, here!
My husband loves tomato basil soup…I have only tried Ina Garten’s recipe. Crème Fraîche is a must! :)
Hi Linda! This one is tasty and I like Ina’s recipe too :)