What do you eat when the temperatures rise? Frozen yogurt of course and being that peaches have been extra sweet this summer I’m using peaches. I also recommend blueberries and raspberries too!
We’ve been enjoying peaches so much this summer! Have you tried my peach bourbon jam? Is delicious on toast or on a cracker with your favorite cheese. I’ve also got an easy recipe for peach galette that is easy to prepare when last minute guests are joining you for dinner.
Is frozen yogurt a dessert or considered healthy?
I guess the question is, is frozen yogurt better than ice cream? The answer to that is definately a yes but at the same time I wouldn’t consider it a health food. There are however some nutritional benefits to frozen yogurt. In my recipe I use locally sourced honey and grass fed yogurt. Local honey is said to help with seasonal allergies in your area and honey also contains antioxidants. Honey is similar to regular sugar in that it does cause a blood sugar spike, although some say not as much. So you make your own decision on what is best for you :) I believe everything in moderation and that sweets should be labeled as such ~ a sweet treat.
Ingredients to have on hand
You’ll need to pick up some plain yogurt and peaches. The other ingredients you probably have at home (honey and vanilla). If you don’t have honey, you can substitute maple syrup. I buy a bag of frozen peaches but if you have fresh, go ahead and slice them up, place on a parchment lined baking tray and freeze. The addition of a couple tablespoons of vodka help with the consistency of the yogurt once frozen. This ingredient can be omitted if you’d like.
How to make peach yogurt
- 16 ounces plain greek yogurt (my preference is grass fed yogurt)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups frozen peaches
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of vodka to helps keep frozen yogurt creamy when frozen (optional)
- Add yogurt to your food processor or blender.
- Add the peaches and blend while slowly adding the maple syrup, vodka (if adding), and vanilla extract.
- When all of the ingredients are blended, pour into small or medium size bread pan and place in the freezer until frozen.
- Garnish with peaches and then drizzle with a little honey if you’d like!