If you have a soft spot for cake but also want to bake something that’s kinda healthy this Gluten-Free Lemon Cake is an option. It’s lightly sweetened with local honey and made with lots of lemon! Serve with a dusting of powdered sugar or lemony icing for a delicious spring dessert.
Gluten- Free Lemon Cake is packed full of lemony flavor and made with only a few ingredients. This dense cake is irresistibly moist and filled with citrus flavor and topped with bright red strawberries, it’s so delicious!
As the weather begins to feel warmer and the days get longer, I like adding in lighter flavors and citrus into my baking. Gluten Free Lemon Cake is perfect for springtime and if you happen to have a slice for breakfast, don’t worry about it! It’s made with just a little bit of honey, farm fresh eggs, and almond flour, not your typical rich, decadent dessert.
As the weather starts to get sunnier, I like to introduce fun and light flavors into my baking. It’s easy to celebrate spring with a delicious and simple orange pound cake.
I replaced all-purpose flour with almond flour, a gluten-free option for anyone that is sensitive to wheat and gluten. Be sure to use almond flour, not almond meal as the latter is too course for this light and airy cake.
How to make Gluten-Free Lemon Cake
- Prep: Grease a 9″ cake pan and cut out a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom of the pan. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Crack and separate the eggs putting whites in a stand up mixer. You can also use a hand mixer if you’d like.
- Zest your lemon and press your lemons, reserving the juice with the egg yolks. Add coconut oil, maple syrup and lemon juice. Stir until combined.
- Combine flour, salt, and baking soda to bowl.
- Alternate adding egg white mixture to flour mix.
- Bake: Pour into baking pan and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
Can I freeze Gluten-Free Lemon Cake?
Yes! Cut into individual servings and freeze in stasher bags for up to 3 months.
Remember ~ If you prepare this dish and enjoy it, please give it a 5 star rating! This helps others see the recipe when they are searching for Spaghetti Limone :)
Can I add lemon zest to store bought cake mix?
Yes! Lemon zest can be added to your store bought cake mix. Adding lemon zest will cut the sweetness of the mix while adding a lemon flavor to your cake.
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup melted butter or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 lemons
- 1/2 tsp salt
- powdered sugar and berries optional
- Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat an 8- or 9-inch springform or round cake pan with coconut oil or butter and cut out a circular piece of parchment paper to cover the bottom of the pan; set aside.
- Crack and separate the eggs placing the whites in a bowl with a stand up mixer (or use an electric hand mixer) and put the yolks in a large bowl.
- Using a micro plane, zest one lemon into the bowl with the egg yolks. Add melted coconut oil, 1/2 cup honey and 1/4 cup lemon juice, stir until combined.
- Add almond flour, baking powder, and salt to the mixture above. Stir until the almond flour is moistened and the mixture is just combined. A few small lumps is fine.
- Beat egg whites on medium speed until peaks form. This usually takes about 2 minutes.
- Gently fold egg whites into the almond flour mixture. Careful not to over mix.
- Pour into prepared baking pan and bake for about 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool and then run a knife around the cake pan to loosen. Invert onto serving plate and serve with a dusting of powdered sugar and berries if you’d like.