You will love this tangy and super moist Easy Lemon Blueberry Cake with Sourdough Discard! The delicious lemon layers filled with blueberry sauce and creamy cream cheese frosting tastes almost like cheesecake.
Following are the step-by-step instructions so you can make this Easy Lemon Blueberry Cake with Sourdough Discard. By the way, have you tried my Strawberry Galette or Elderberry Chiffon Cake? Both are perfect summer desserts. I use sweet, ripe peaches or strawberries to make mine.
Why we like Easy Lemon Blueberry Cake with Sourdough Discard
Have extra sourdough starter and looking for ways to use it? Try using it to make Easy Lemon Blueberry Cake with Sourdough Discard.
The starter and lemon adds a little tang to this soft cake. Fill your cake layers with lightly sweetened blueberries and top with a lemony cream cheese frosting for the most decadent, yet not too sugary dessert. Don’t forget to add the edible flowers on top. You can go to this blog post to read about edible flowers and how I used them on top of my shortbread cookies.
Step by Step Instructions
Start by making the blueberry filling. Use fresh or frozen berries. If you are using frozen, allow to thaw first. Combine blueberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a saucepan. Over a medium heat, allow to simmer. Cook until the berries are soft and the sauce thickens a bit. Use an immersion blender or you Vitamix to puree the blueberries. Return to sauce pan and simmer on low heat until thickened up and/or reduced by about 1/3. The blueberries will continue to thicken as they cool.
Lemon Cake: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. and grease cake pans. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk gently. In a large bowl add sugar, eggs, lemon juice, sourdough discard, vanilla and almond extracts. Use a hand mixer to blend. In a pyrex measuring cup, heat milk, butter, and coconut oil until warm in the microwave (you may also use a saucepan to heat). Slowly pour into the egg and sugar mixer, blending with your hand mixer. Slowly mix in the dry ingredients. When all of the ingredients are incorporated, pour the cake mix evenly into your cake pans. Bake 30 – 40 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. When the cake is one use a knife to loosen the sides of the cake from the pan. Allow to sit for about 20 minutes. Invert cake on to cooling rack and allow to cool completely prior to frosting.
Lemony Cream Cheese Frosting: Combine 3/4 cup butter and 1 cup of cream cheese, room temperature. Use a hand mixer to whip until blended. Slowly add 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Mix until smooth and creamy.
Looking for more recipes to add sourdough discard? Make sure to try my chocolate zucchini bread?
Linens are available at my on-line Amazon Shop!
- Lemon Cake
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup sourdough discard
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar plus 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp almond extract
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/3 cup coconut or olive oil (I used olive oil)
- Blueberry filling
- 2 1/2 cups blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar plus 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- the juice of 2 lemons
- Lemony Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Make the blueberry filling. In a medium size sauce pan combine all ingredients and bring to a simmer. Cook until blueberries are soft and sauce has thickened up a bit. Remove from the heat and puree in a blender. Return to saucepan and heat until mixture is reduced by about 1/3. The blueberry sauce will continue to thicken while cooling.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease the bottom of two 8 inch cake pans. I add parchment paper to the bottom as well.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt, whisk gently.
- In a larger bowl, add sugar, eggs, lemon juice, sourdough discard, vanilla, and almond extract. Use a hand mixer to blend.
- In a sauce pan or Pyrex measuring cup, heat milk, butter, and coconut or olive oil until warm/melted.
- Pour into the egg and sugar mixture, gently mix with your hand mixer.
- Blend until everything is incorporated.
- Divide cake evenly between two 8 inch baking pans.
- Bake at 325 degrees F. for about 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- When the cake is done, remove and use a knife to loosen the sides. Allow to cool for an additional 20 minutes. Invert on to cooling racks. Wait to frost until cool.
Lemony Cream Cheese Frosting
Combine softened cream cheese and butter in to a small mixing bowl. Blend until incorporated. Add powdered sugar and lemon juice. Mix until creamy.